Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 29 May 2021

Dolphins.

It has got a lot warmer but overall it's been a grey day. I took the photo below in the afternoon just before it rained. Earlier the sea had been completley calm and despite the greyness there were plenty of people pootling about on the water mostly in kayaks or on paddleboards. Later Peter tried to avoid looking out as the rowing club took the boat out. (His rib still isn't up to rowing.)
As we were eating our breakfast Peter suddenly noticed a pair of dolphins lazily surfacing in the water about level with the rock islands. A lucky kayaker with a child on board was nearby. I went out with my binoculars to watch the dolphins and to keep an eye on the kayaker but he had sensibly stopped paddling and then paddled away. If I'd seen him trying to get closer I'm not sure what I would have done, maybe yelled as approaching the dolphins is not allowed. Disturbance can stop them from feeding and generally cause stress. Sadly somebody reported that there was a decomposing porpoise (we have dolphins and porpoises) in one of the coves under the cliff. It's probably the same one that was spotted around Aber in last few days.
My first job this morning was to paint a second coat on the metal parts of the clothes airer. It's a bit blobby but they'll be up high so it shouldn't notice.
The rest of the day was taken up with unpicking the last seam and then taking off all the little bits of thread from the old curtain. I had hoped to save time by utilising the original hems but they were kind of droopy at the ends so I had to cut the fabric and make new hems. I'm making the curtain in two pieces and got the first one sewn and hung up. Unfortunately I had to use the off-white cheesecloth as that was all I had left and it doesn't look as good as the brilliant white in the other window. I'll carry on and make the second curtain until either I get used to them or I find the missing big curtain from our old sitting room. Or I suppose I could just buy some new fabric. It's more about not wanting to waste stuff rather than the cost. 
Note to self - NEVER eat ice-cream when you have a grumbling tooth. I thought it would be okay to have something cool on the inside of my mouth as an ice pack on the outside of my cheek had been fairly soothing. Boy was I wrong. I'll save the ice-cream for after the tooth has been dealt with.

 

2 comments:

happyone said...

I'm still getting those weird adds when I click on comment. I quickly close it down and hit comment again and all is well.
So nice that you get to see the dolphins.
The birthday dinner was very special. I agree that is the best way to celebrate.

Granny Marigold said...

Hello Ruta, Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
How fortunate you are to live by the ocean and see Dolphins and Porpoises.
Have a lovely weekend.