Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 20 May 2021

Severe Gale Force 9.

Listening to the shipping forecast at 5.00 this morning I heard, possibly for the first time in many years, the phrase "violent storm force 11" for the areas on the far side of Ireland. Checking now there is still a force 11 in one area, several storm force 10s and both Lundy and the Irish Sea (the sea between Wales and Ireland including Cardigan Bay) are currently severe gale force 9. For most of the morning it was bright with the strong winds flattening out the sea. The gale arrived in the afternoon bringing lots of rain, stronger winds and increasing waves. I've just looked out of the window and there are two surfers duck diving under the 6-8ft waves. Haven't seen them catch any waves yet.
Peter drove into town this morning to do some shopping. He brings home some of the heavier items (milk, potatoes etc) to save me carrying them but I'll still need to go shopping tomorrow. We prefer to shop separately and most shops are still requesting that you shop alone if possible. Incidently Wales ranks third in the world for the proportion of its population that have had the first vaccination.
For me it's been a 'homely' day. Watching the wild weather from a warm home spurred me to get the basic cleaning done quickly and bake an apple cake. I call it my More Cake as I added more apples, more eggs and more spices - mixed spice and cinammon. Sometimes varying the recipe doesn't work but this time it did.
Cake made I turned to curtains, ironing the large curtain I washed yesterday then sewing, this time with the television on (The Yorkshire Vet). The floral curtains for my study are now finished and hanging up. Final job of the day was to chop up some potatoes and add them to the hearty soup we'll be having for our supper.

I checked Speedy's cut this morning and I couldn't see any signs that he'd been licking so no dreaded cone for now. 

No comments: