Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 12 May 2021

Zoo Day.

Bright and sunny with a cold wind.
Being Wednesday it's zoo day. When I arrived I was asked to sweep the concrete paths. They're very good about asking if I'm okay to do things as I made it clear that I'm not as capable physically as I used to be. I also get plenty of thanks for the work I'm doing, very good policy when you have volunteers. Today there was a bit of fluster going on as the vet was coming to make an inspection to do with a couple of the Patas monkeys that come under the Dangerous Animals Act. The sad thing is that if they don't get the licence then those two monkeys will have to be euthanised.
Today's photography plan was to capture the iridescent splendour of the peacocks who roam free around the zoo. The white hen became a little too free roaming when she walked out through the entrance and had to be collected from the car park just as the vet and entourage were leaving. 
Last week the peacock was displaying his tail but today he was perched on a fence. Obviously I wasn't going to disturb him just to get him to put his tail up.

While I was happily sweeping the paths and picking up loose bits of straw and hay two of the coati (coatimundi) were having a wonderful time play fighting while resting in a climbing net. 
I also worked next to the Giant Tortoises (that's the toe of my wellie in the corner of the photo to show the size). They moved much more quickly than I imagined though maybe that's because these two were full of the joys of spring. So much so I had to stop taking photos.
I spent a happy morning at the zoo achieving my goals of being around animals, working outside and meeting new people. 
Back home it was sunny enough for me to don my shorts and do my curtain sewing outside. (Got to get some colour into my milk bottle legs.) I've finished the first curtain which is now up at the window and made a start on the hem of the second curtain. It's not that easy sewing with plasters on your fingers, some for splits by the nails and one to stop the end of the needle poking more holes in my finger as my fingers are too big for the thimble in my sewing kit. 
The albino wallaby joey. I have photos of the mum but the views of the pouch when the joey is this large are not pretty.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Looks like a wonderful place to volunteer your time and sounds like they appreciate any work you do. Loved seeing the tortoises!