Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 23 May 2021

Wet.

Plenty of rain today making it a good sewing day.
Sunday mornings the lifeboat crew go out for training. We could see by the way the boat was bouncing up and then hitting the water with a large splash just how rough it was. We only have the smallest class of lifeboat here but a good indicator of the need for lifeboat services in this area is the fact that there are also lifeboat stations at Aberystwyth and Aberdyfi a few miles on either side of us. Yesterday I heard and saw the coastguard helicopter flying towards Aber and today I read here that they were taking an unwell walker from Cader Idris to the hospital.

I spent the afternoon sewing. A slight diversion from unpicking the curtain which still needs to be done to adding a hood to my ex-Navy coat. It's an excellent Gortex coat but came without a hood. We have waterproof caps but if we're out in a storm the water tends to run down my neck. The hood I added is a zip-on hood from a jacket that is headed for the charity shop as it's surplus to our needs. I unpicked the zip carefully and re-stitched the jacket so that you can hardly tell that it once had a hood and then stitched the zip under the collar of the coat. While the colour may not match it's certainly going to keep the rain out. It was only as he was taking the photo that Peter told me you can buy the hoods that go with these jackets. Humph, I've never seen them and the job is done now.
Below is another photo from 10 years ago of the work done to create the sea defences. If you have a spare half a million and would like to live in Borth the very last house on the hill is up for sale here . (This link will disappear when the house is sold as estate agents have a super power that lets them remove things from the internet which I thought you can't do.)
We're eating in front of the tv tonight and having snacks, how indulgent, while we watch The Eurovision Song Contest which we recorded yesterday as it didn't start until 8.00. We've carefully avoided listening to the news so don't know the winner, as if it's that important but I did hear that yet again Britain got 'Nul points'. No surprise there as our songs are never very good and the rest of Europe hates Britain. Why Australia and Israel count as part of Europe I have yet to fathom. That said it's a fun spectacle to watch and I'm sure Peter will enjoy the portion he see before he falls asleep. 
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

That should keep you dry. I have a rain slicker with a hood that is good for the first three miles - after that somehow water still trickles down my neck.