Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Hot.

Do not fear Dear Reader, we were all talking to each other before bedtime so all is peace and harmony (ish) once more. Not such a restful day today. Linas went in early with Peter as he had to catch a train to Plymouth and I had volunteered (to maintain the peace and harmony), to collect him from the station in the afternoon. This was also a good opportunity to do some shopping in Tescos. Such a relief to get some fresh fruit and fruit juice.



It was on the journey home that problems began. I had looked at the temp gauge in the car on the way out and it was reassuringly low. I didn't look again until we were nearly home, shock horror! it had swung up past the red to the max!! As we were nearly home I took a chance and continued on, coasting down the last few hills. Not surprised to find the radiator empty. Hmm, Only had a service and MOT a few weeks ago but I am assured by those who know that leaks can happen all of a sudden. We've poured in lots of water and will see how much comes out by the morning. The other problem is that I still need a few items of shopping which I was planning to get in Ilfracombe tomorrow but Linas needs to go to the bank asap and that's in Barnstaple. Funny, I thought I was supposed to be convalescing.

It's lovely sitting outside in the cool of the evening. I think they must be having Pony Camp next door as the sounds of childish squeals are ringing up the valley.


Am I an old fuddy duddy to think it important to wear a hat in such sunny weather? As I drove around town I saw only one person wearing a hat of any sort, and he looked distinctly continental. I wore a straw hat which I had to hang onto a few times in the car as I had the windows and the sunroof open. More people were wearing shorts but there was a fair amount of overdone too-pink skin to be seen. I know that this kind of weather is unusual but will they never learn?

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta...the photo of your house is enchanting. I write often that I (in my mind) insert myself in your photographs. Well, I sat in your yard and admired flowers and loved hearing the voices of the children.

I look a real dunce in a hat. However, I wear one all the time in summer. The looks I get I choose to think are admiring my hat not my dunce look.

Ruta M. said...

Feel free to join my friends and I as we spend tomorrow afternoon inthe garden chatting, drinking tea and eating.