Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 26 July 2012

Still Hot.

I'm not sure where the weather people get their stats from 'cos yesterday the highest temp was supposed to have been 29C, ha! I saw a few clouds yesterday and this evening it is beginning to be overcast. I guess the end of this hot spell is on its way. I did not get my usual lie-in this morning because Linas HAD to go to the bank. For once I paid to park in the middle of town and spent an hour doing a bit of shopping and getting some new books from the library. I started out trying to stand up tall and walk normally but I began to tire after a while and was nervous about people bumping into me. After all that it transpired the nearest RBS branch is in Exeter and Linas was able to sort everything out on the phone at home. I kept my eagle eye on the car's temp gauge (not hard when my Micra only has 3 gauges; speed, temp and fuel), and it stayed normal thank goodness.
The 3 swallows' nests up in the outbuildings are filled with chicks again. I couldn't stay long to take pictures as the parents were getting rather distressed having me standing there in the doorway.
I spent the afternoon in the shade reading yet another library book.




This book is a mixture of a story and an account of how this teacher was pilloried by the teaching authorities for the amazing work she did with a group of very difficult boys. I found it a very good read and you can read the start (or maybe all) of it online if you follow the link more info . The final section has a lot of thank you's and I was most surprised to see close friend of my mother named there and described as 'the coolest woman I ever met .... '.

I am having some friends round tomorrow and Linas helped me make a cheesecake. Last year I couldn't find the curd cheese that this recipe uses and tried an alternative with not very good results but this year I found the curd cheese in a tempting deli in town. It's a no-cook recipe that I have made successfully many times so hopefully it will be fine.

No comments: