Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 1 July 2012

Cool.

Another cool day with the occasional light shower. Peter is off rowing in a regatta at Appledore but I had lots to do at home. Linas and I have managed to get quite a lot of work done. I have painted the walls of one room and filled in a few cracks. I was not too pleased with the colour of the paint once it dried but that is my own fault. I chose the paint by eye when I was buying paint for our bedroom in B&Q because they had a special offer on paint. In the see-through tub it seemed like a good match, sort of a clotted cream colour but it dries several several shades darker. I shall put up with it because it is just a spare bedroom and the goal is to make it look at bit fresher. Linas painted the door of the room he is working on, filled in more cracks (it is an old house) and made a start on digging a trench outside so that we can put in a drain to take water away from a soak-away that isn't working. He also flooded the upstairs bathroom when he left the bath taps running and water is currently dripping through the ceiling of the downstairs toilet. Romas did the same thing years ago and the ceiling fell right down. The insurance covered it and we only had to pay £50 to have a new ceiling put in but right now the ceiling is only bowing. One of the advantages of having a Vax as a hoover is that it converts easily to a water sucker up and makes clearing up such mishaps easier.
Yesterday at the library I did my usual lazy selection and grabbed some books from the 'returns' trolley. I started this book this morning and have found it hard to put down. Roger Evans is a Shropshire farmer who writes for several farming/country papers and his observations on farming, nature and life in general are hilarious. Poor Peter kept having bits read out to him as we had our Sunday lie-in. It is the kind of book that had me laughing out loud.


I have even found time to get out into the garden and finally sort out the sad heather bed on the end bank. For some years the heathers grew well but then they started to fade and die. It think that unlike the original heather bank which is flourishing, the trees growing out of the top of the bank took too much water when we had several dry summers, (yes there were some of those). Now there are only 2 heathers struggling to survive at the end of the bank. Instead I have planted some of my garden's heavy mob. A stripey grass, gardener's garters, and montbretia. Both of those do well in most conditions and I am hoping they will be more drought tolerant than the heathers.

No comments: