Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 12 July 2012

Nearly Flooded.

It's been quite a stressful day. Last night I went into a bit of decline over the cancellation and then I spent the morning waiting to find out what the next step would be. I even got up early and ate some cereal at 6.00 and then went nil-by-mouth in case a miracle happened and they rang to say they could fit me in today, but no that didn't happen. When I hadn't heard by 12.30 I phoned the hospital, that's quite a change from my normal passive accepting state. I was told they had a theatre slot available for first thing Monday morning but they were still waiting to confirm that there was a bed available. Eventually I had a call saying that I should come in on Monday. Now I will be worrying each time the phone rings in case they cancel again.


I didn't do much in the morning except stay snuggled up on the sofa listening to the torrential rain. That is until I chance to look out of the window to see 2 rivers flowing down our drive. I flew outside and then yelled for Linas as the amount of water washing away the drive and then flooding into the waste water treatment tank was horrendous. We got some wood placed across the road diverting the road water into the fields and I reinforced them with clods of soil & grass while Linas used the washed down gravel to create a barrier in the yard and divert the water away from the tank. This really has got to be the worst we have ever had it. We walked over to Paul's and the water at the end of the lake had flooded over the road. Water was pouring out of the overflow pipe but unfortunately Paul has built a parapet along the road and we suspect that the height of the parapet is the same as the lawn protecting the back of the house.
So far everything is holding up but in case the worst happened I went and checked out out contents insurance. Guess what? We are not covered for flood damage, or fire, or storm in fact I can't see what the hundreds of pounds we pay each year covers us for. Even the boiler is excluded because it is over 10 years old and any personal items. I tried to ring them to find out what is covered because all I can see in the booklet are exclusions but I couldn't get through. The renewal comes up in a few weeks and I don't think I shall bother thank you.


Earlier in the day I spotted this squirrel who had managed to leap onto the feeder hanging over the stream. When I went out to chase him off he went straight down, possibly into the stream.

1 comment:

Marrisa said...

Jeez, look at your water! My parents were trapped at their house because of flooding. Hope its better now and you getting some sun! x