Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Snow.

I woke this morning to see big fat snowflakes falling past the windows. I took the precaution of running my car engine while I ate my breakfast as otherwise I simply get cold air blasting through the 'heating' system for the first half of my journey.
 (7.00) Up at the top of the drive there was a light sprinkling of snow on the road. Needless to say it was all change once I got to school. We had a lovely sunny day and it was pleasantly warm. A good thing too as in the afternoon we could smell gas in my classroom. It was a bit of a mystery as although the children can be smelly the school boiler, which runs on gas, is down in the basement under the kitchens on the other side of the hall. We opened our windows and doors and fortunately it was playtime anyway. The gas people came within half an hour but their detectors showed nothing. That was strange but outside I did notice a whiff of slurry floating in from the countryside so maybe that was the cause. I've been in school all day and it's been good. The warmth is a bonus but mainly I am strengthened by being around my friends and the children. I was teaching Year 1 in the morning which was some data handling based on favourite Easter eggs and then listening to readers and in the afternoon I was back down with the Reception children. We also had cakes and silly games at lunchtime as one of my colleagues is now starting her maternity leave. It's her second pregnancy but this time she's having twins so we've all been teasing her about her extra large bump. Some of us turned up with cushions under our jumpers so that she wasn't the odd one out. Her little boy is determined that both the babies (whatever the sex) should be called Jesus. Jesus1 and Jesus2 to be precise. Today's little party was themed on Dr Seuss' Thing1 and Thing2 and the staffroom was decorated with red and blue paper chains made by the children. It felt like the end of term already but there is one more day to go. I'm not teaching until the afternoon so I don't have to get up too early.
Coming home I started my journey with the car window open but up in the hills it started to snow once more, the icicle fall had reappeared and right now I can see a light dusting of snow on the garden. Peter went into work in the morning, as part of his phased return to work but he said it was cold all afternoon at home.

1 comment:

happyone said...

It doesn't seem like spring will ever get here and stay!!!