Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Spring ?

It's the spring equinox and today's weather map shows most of the country covered in snow. We are in the small patch of green down in the south-west corner with the weather front sitting right over our valley. So in town it has been hot and sunny with the occasional grey cloud mixing in with the fluffy white sort while at home it has been greyer and colder. And further north it's snowy, very seasonal.
I got up early this morning, for a full day at work, only to discover that the side of my face was beginning to puff up. A phone call to the dentist and I got an appointment for after school. Although it felt to me that side of my face resembled a chipmunk it wasn't really that bad. It got worse during the day and by the time I got to the dentist my painkillers were wearing off and even my eye felt sore. 'You've got a dry socket and an infection' said the dentist when she she had a look. Well, duh - I told her that would probably happen when I had the tooth out on Monday but she blanked my suggestion of giving me a prescription for antibiotics then. I know we have to try and minimise our use of antibiotics to stop resistance in bacteria but there are times when they are really needed. Now she had to give me a 5 day course of a stronger antibiotic. She cleaned out the hole, which was a bit ouchy and put in a dressing that tastes suspiciously like good old fashioned oil of cloves which I keep in my first aid kit but don't often use.
Funny moment at school - I was talking to my class of littlies when I got the hiccups so they all joined in too. We were just about to go out to play so I popped into the staffroom and had a glass of cold water which did the trick. It would not have been easy trying to read the end of day story with hiccups.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh sorry about the dry socket. I've heard it's pretty painful! Hope your antibiotics aren't as strong as mine. WOW. Only 8 more pills to go for me!!!
Funny about the hiccups.