Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 30 March 2013

Sunny.

We woke to a grey cold day but later on things brightened up. Although I prefer waiting until I have a number of jobs to do before making the trip into town I really needed to go in to change my library books. I find sadness creeping up on me as the day goes on and late night reading helps me escape reality for a while. I do also need some new black joggers for work. Track suit bottoms are not in fashion now, all the shops were full of jean-style trousers but jeans are not allowed for work. Not a professional image I suppose. As we are supposed to wear appropriate clothing for PE track suit bottoms are acceptable even if you are not teaching PE. I usually get my joggers from Next as they do a long fitting but this year their joggers had a folded over waist band which I didn't like. I tried M&S but their ones had a white trim and a dip at the front which is fine if you're fit and flat but not very flattering for the rounder waistline. (I was dieting since before Christmas and had lost a stone but right now the diet is on hold.) The 2 cheap sports shops have closed down and I don't really want to pay top price for a sports brand. I did find 2 pairs to try on but neither was cut right, it wasn't the sizing just the cut. I did end up with 2 pairs of leggings in a track suit fabric and a floaty tunic type top to cover all the bumps instead. I like leggings but in the last few years they have become too thin, thinner even than the footless tights we used to wear for keep-fit, and are mainly worn under short shorts by young girls. 
The High Street had almost a festival feel in the sunshine. It was very busy, this being Saturday and also the start of the tourist season. Some one was busking playing a penny whistle, the balloon seller was there, also there was some street preaching going on and the gig club had got The Lady Freida on show to promote the club and maybe get some new members.
Peter was there too in the club colours. A little later the town's marching band came along merrily playing on their xylophones and things. They too were dressed in red, black and white which Peter tells me are the town colours. (Barum is the old, Saxon? name for Barnstaple.)
Also out was this man and his duck collecting money for a charity.
Back home I hung some washing out to catch a little of the breeze and then I swept the front patio and got out the pressure washer to clean the concrete slabs from black to grey. I made a start but then the pressure washer sounded a bit funny. I think it was because there was a kink in the hose which has now caused an air bubble. I'll carry on tomorrow as it's about time to bring out the garden table and chairs so that we can enjoy the sun when spring decides to make an appearance.

No comments: