Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 8 March 2014

Sunny.

Today was even better than yesterday, more summery than spring-like with the garden thermometer reading 22C (in the sun). Peter went off early to row and as soon as I had got through the morning housework I was out in the garden ready to get to work on the path around the little pond. 4 1/2 hours later the path was clear of leaves and weeds and the same for the planted edge around the pond. I'm hoping my back won't seize up (the physio suggested 20 mins at a time), but I would like to get the garden weeded through before that dreary task of mowing has to be done. And there are a couple of trees I really would like to cut down before the sap starts rising. It will have to be with my trusty bow saw as if I wait for Peter to be free/ have his hands not hurting/ the chainsaw to be working it might be another year or 2. 
As I worked on the path above me the first bumble bees were visiting the winter flowering heathers.  I hadn't really thought of heather as part of my bee-friendly garden plan but little else is flowering right now up in the hills. I have seen some flowering blackthorn by the main road but it will be a few weeks before the May blossom (hawthorn) is out.
One of the bees was a white tailed bumble bee and there was a red tailed one as well. 
After the weeding there was time to get my wicker chair out into the sun by the scree garden, make a cup of tea and relax with a book for an hour. That's the first time this year. The sun had also brought out the ladybirds. I saw a few yesterday and this pair were soaking up the warmth on a bronze sculpture. 

No comments: