Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 9 March 2014

Sunny.

Another amazingly warm day. It would not be that unusual to have snow in March and I have a few photos of flowering daffodils in the snow so today has been a real bonus. There was no chance of a walk as Peter had to go to the gig club for some training for his new position as cox, he will still be rowing but it gives him a role when he can't row, and then some maintenance work on the gigs. I didn't mind because I was glad of the opportunity to carry on weeding the garden.
It was so nice that I brought down a couple of garden chairs and a small table. After a quick check of FB and a look at Vytas and Sally's photos of the Hue Citadel, Vietnam I had my Sunday fresh coffee out in the sun. 
The birds were singing away and I saw this Red Admiral feeding on the celandines. I also saw a small tortoiseshell and a comma butterfly. The flies had also woken up which I discovered to my annoyance.
Although the celandines are self seeded wild flowers their glowing yellow flowers brighten up the garden and I let them be. 
I paced myself a bit today with breaks to sit in the sun and read. A couple of hours got the rill cleared of weeds, leaves and general sludge and I cleared the beds on either side as well. I was particularly pleased to dig out a tangle of grass roots from under the golden marjoram. Luckily the marjoram is tough and will soon recover from my not too gentle digging. I was only just in time with the weeding as some of the shepherd's purse was already flowering. 
After a break I donned the only pair of wellies that don't leak and new rubber gloves to stand in the pond and fish out the grass that was growing in the water. If I don't get it out the grass will fill the pond by the summer. I also cleared any old beech leaves from the edge of the water. I'm such a softie that I carefully checked each leaf for tadpoles or snails before putting it in my bucket. Silly when I probably squashed a fair few creatures with my boots as I balanced at the edge of the pond. My final job was to partially block the outflow pipe so that the pond level goes up a few inches the next time it rains.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Looks like spring has sprung by you. : )
Our snow is finally melting.

I haven't been able to leave comments here. I've been following blogs with BlogLovin and that appears to be the problem. It is your blog and one other.

I went directly to your blog and now I can leave comments.