Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 31 March 2014

Thunder.

Look what the postman brought me from Romas. By the time the postman arrived I was ready to relax after 4 hours sawing away at that tree. I'm at least halfway through so I'll save the final bit for Friday. It was very warm so I was working in a t-shirt and now my arm is bruised from leaning on one tree and my hands are sore too. I found a big branch to stand on to raise me up a bit but it was balanced on a trunk that leans out over a 6ft drop to the stream below and I was still cutting above me. Not a safe place to put a ladder especially as the tree will probably twist as it goes down so I need to be able to make a swift exit as soon as I hear it cracking. I worked slowly, sawing and resting thinking that each cut brought me a fraction of a millimetre closer to completion. All around the birds were singing and I watched a big bumble bee buzzing away and looking for nest sites. Eventually it found a soft spot under the leaves and with a wriggle its fat bottom disappeared into the ground. I watched for a while but didn't see it emerge but there it was again buzzing around. Or maybe that was another bumble bee?
The primroses are looking good right now. All from a couple of plants that I liberated from a hedgerow a mile away. 
Once I had decided to stop sawing I cleared a few more bags of rubbish from the outbuildings and took all the bags and the recycling box up to the road ready to be collected tomorrow morning. That's where I met the postman. Back home I had just started washing my hair when I heard a rumble of thunder from the black cloud overhead. Quickly wrapping my hair in a towel I turned off all the delicate items in the house and unscrewed the phone line. There were a few more rumbles and some heavy rain but hopefully we are all clear now.

No comments: