Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 6 April 2016

All Change.

The weather has changed and a gale has been blowing all day long. After some initial rain it has been bright and sunny mixed with grey spells while throughout the wind has been bitterly cold. Yesterday I was working in a t-shirt, today I wore my wind-proof gardening coat and a hat to keep the wind out of my ears. During the morning rain I went and cleaned in the outbuilding sweeping up the leaves and swallow poo (I'm going to put newspaper down to make cleaning up this year's offerings easier.) Then I returned to cutting down the hedge and hooray it is now all done. There were a few brief showers but the wind soon blew the rain away. There were times when the wind was so strong I was nearly knocked off my feet. Now that the shelter of the hedge is gone I wonder how well the apple trees will fare. So maybe from a gardening point of view it wasn't the best thing to take out the hedge but it does make the garden look a lot bigger or will do once the trunks are chopped down. And it was almost as much hard work to keep the hedge trimmed as to cut it all down. 
I had planned to burn up all the branches at the end of the day but the wind was so strong I couldn't risk burning branches being blown into the trees or onto my neighbour's property. 
Now for a quiet evening listening to the wind whistling around the house. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I hope you had a good book to read while listening to the wind in the evening. I, often, tackle a gardening job that in the end caused me more grief. The best intentions....