Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 1 April 2016

Extreme Pruning.

After a starry night and cold morning the sky clouded over and we had a grey, chilly day. 
I did come more sorting out and filled my car to the roof with stuff for the dump. This time I went to the Ilfracombe dump as I didn't need to do any shopping. In fact I drove there in my very scruffy outdoor work clothes which included a pair of oversized wellies (big enough to fit all the family.) I had to drive in my socks as the boots were to big to operate the pedals properly. As well as the last bike I took the spare hover mower. I checked it still works but they are not allowed to sell electrical items so it had to be scrapped. On my way to the dump I saw my first lambs of the season. A pair of twin lambs trotting down the main road with their mother. I slowed down and yelled at them hoping to scare them back over the hedge but they ended up running past my car. The car behind me had stopped so I drove on, flashing my lights at the oncoming traffic. They were gone by the time I was driving back so I guess they made it back safely to their field.
I spent most of the afternoon making a start on cutting down the hedge. It needs to be done asap so that the branches can dry off ready for me to burn and tidy up. I had a further cutting session after a rest with the 3 C's (coffee, chocolate & Co-codamol) so now there are only 3 smaller branches left on the first tree. I shall leave the trunks in the hope that one of the boys will tidy them up with the chain saw. Sometimes I wish I was able to use a chain saw but I inflict enough damage on myself with simple hand tools so I don't think it would be a safe option. Today, as well as constantly banging my cut finger I kept getting whipped in the face by the apple tree and the shrub that was behind me and then I gave myself a bang on the head with the metal arm of my long handled loppers. Not sure how but it really hurt. I should have gone inside and put an ice pack on it but I knew if I stopped I would find it hard to start up again.
 A hint of Spring in the aubretia.

No comments: