Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 16 April 2016

Sun ..... Then Hail.

Contrary to the forecast we had a rather nice day if a little chilly at times. We had planned to make a start on changing over the sitting room wall lights as I we will be taking the current ones with us and you can't get them any more. I had bought 6 lights on eBay last autumn but when I unwrapped one I noticed that it didn't have a standard light fitting. Instead it looked to need one of those halogen push in bulbs but a bigger size than the ones I keep for our bedside lights. I couldn't bring up the details of the original eBay description so I messaged the seller who sent me a photo of the bulbs I needed. I was very surprised to see it was an ordinary bulb but with a small screw fitting. Duh! Luckily, when Brian Ford's closed down some years ago I bought 5 boxes of small screw fitting bulbs for the lights in our back room at the ridiculous price of 10p per box of 4 bulbs. Justification for my future planning. 
As it was so nice out I thought I would tidy up the golden marjoram bed. It just needed the dry flower stalks to be taken off and a little weeding and that should be it for the rest of the year. 
(Wow! hailstones are falling as I type at 6.00.) Having done a bit more than the 20 mins  of gardening advised by the physiotherapist my back began to protest but before I called a halt I cleared the rill that leads into the small pond.
Then I did stop and tucked myself into a sunny sheltered corner to have a blissful few hours reading in the sun.  
The first beech leaves usually appeared around the 1st of May but a quick hunt along the hedge at the bottom of the garden revealed a few buds inside the hedge already unfurling their fresh green leaves.

No comments: