Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 24 June 2016

Britain Votes to Leave the EU.

What a surprise to wake this morning to the news that the majority of those who voted want Britain to leave the EU. From the vitriol on Facebook you would think that all the 'out' voters were racist bigots wanting  to relive a fantasy golden age of the British Empire. As a child of refuge immigrants those are the very antithesis of my views. I have heard some very reasonable arguments from ordinary folk who are also concerned about the move to a centralised federal government even more removed from the views of the population or who wonder just how when Britain can't sort out its own economic problems how things will work including struggling nations such as Spain and Greece not to mention those countries who are hoping to join the EU in an attempt to solve their even worse economies. Anyway enough of politics and back to everyday life.
I drove into rain on my way to school this morning and there  was one mighty rumble of thunder at about 8.30. After that the weather improved until we were back to sunny skies with a cooling breeze. In the afternoon the teaching assistant that should have been with me was off sick but luckily I had a young student helping. Of course it would be under such circumstances that one child wet himself and then another had a bit more of a serious toilet mishap. Normally the teaching assistant would deal with these incidents but today they were my responsibility. Thank goodness for latex gloves. 
After school I went into town to post a couple of parcels and have a little browse in a few shops on the way. Cargo shops are being phased out prior to rebranding so they had big signs up with everything at 70% off. There wasn't much left in the shop but as I looked at the duvet sets I realised they had super-king size sets which you don't often see. I was tempted to get some patterned covers but ended up with 2 sets of plain white covers and pillow cases. They will do for a few years more. I came home ready to mow the last 2 lawns only to find that it had rained heavily in the afternoon and the grass was too wet to cut. 

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Beautiful photo of a hardy geranium. What is the name of it? I had one hardy geranium plant; however, when I dug the entire west fence perennial bed...I can't remember when I did this...I must have lost it. To date, we in Michigan are extremely dry with another heat wave coming this weekend. My circle perennial garden that I reduced 2 feet in diameter and replanted last fall is doing quite good. I thought I had separated and tagged all the plants, but I see a purple phlox is readying to bloom and I don't want purple. They tend to become so aggressive and take over. My idea was a pink, white, purple (coneflower) and yellow garden. As you can imagine, I am anxious to see if I replanted to correct plants. I have a white phlox and a white coneflower that I am especially anxious to see. I have listened to the radio and read many articles about yesterday's referendum. I shall continue to do so. Very interesting.

Ruta M. said...

That's a misleading shot of one of the surfinia petunias in a hanging basket. I do have a nice blue/purple hardy geranium called Johnson's Blue which is one of the more common varieties (see pic on last Tuesday's post) and I have about 18 varieties in the garden ranging from white to pink to purple. The best thing about them is that they don't get eaten by slugs of which we have plenty here.

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta. Johnson's Blue was the geranium I had. Lovely photos today.