Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 19 June 2016

Very Wet.

It has been raining all day long and not very warm either. That's the British summer for you. 
I sorted out my schoolwork as I've been asked to do the planning for Tuesday when I shall be teaching for the whole day. It's the reception class, their topic has been all about staying healthy and luckily I still have a whole set of pictures of food on cards that I made last year . I so very nearly threw those cards out last week when I was having a clear out.
I also went through yet another box brought down from the loft. It was marked ceramics and ornaments and was mainly treasures my mother and I had bought in junk shops. There was the usual (for a Lithuanian household) plethora of amber and random beads and broken jewellery but what got me excited were these pieces of broken pottery. I'm pretty sure they are ancient Roman or ancient Greek which my mother had 'found' on her travels. She spent some summers in Tuscany, another on Paros and when we went to Turkey she went off to Ephesus for a few days. One day I'll take then along with an intact amphora which is probably just an 'aged' souvenir to a museum to be identified. I find it really exciting to hold an item that was used by somebody hundreds or thousands of years ago. 
I put some things on eBay just to see what will happen and packed up more for the charity shop. 

The rain continues.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Ah rain, we here in southeast Michigan are in dire need of rain. I do hope your treasures turn out to be exactly what you expect. My brother's-in-law family farmed in Ohio. And Grandpa found many arrowheads. They were mounted and framed for display. Quite lovely too.