Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 9 June 2016

Ross Austen.

Once again it has been sometimes warm and sometimes hot. I've been teaching all day and was lucky enough to be in a classroom that is usually dark and gloomy but today was nice and cool.  
Today the school had a visit from Ross Austen a former soldier who competed and got a silver medal in the Invictus Games. I had prepared my class of 5 year olds by simply saying he had been a soldier and had an injury to his leg. When my class went into the hall they were sitting in the front row and when they saw his prosthetic leg I heard a child say with great awe "Look at his robot leg." That group of boys were mightily impressed. Ross spoke in a very down to earth manner to the children, let them all hold his silver medal and showed a short video about the Invictus Games which was very moving. The rest of my teaching day went very well and it was a pleasant class to teach. In the end the class teacher's operation was postponed due to an influx of trauma cases. He is going to have tomorrow as his report writing day so I'm back in school for the day.
The weather was so nice that although I should have and could have I decided not to cut the grass. Instead I washed my hair then sat out in the sun drying my hair and listening to the sounds of a riding lesson (done that both as pupil and teacher) and then later the clip-clopping of the horses being taken up to the fields for the night.
I love blue flowers and was quite annoyed last week when I found a dozen flower heads of this deep blue iris lying on the ground where snails or slugs had eaten through the stems. 
A tiny wild vetch. (Vicia Sativa)

No comments: