Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Rainy Day.

We had a lot of rain in the night and it continued for most of the day. I've spent a lot of the day sorting through my school folders. In an effort to be organised I have separate folders for each year group and for some subjects but I do seem to accumulate lots of paper as I don't throw anything away until I've checked it for important memos. Everything has now been checked, disposed of or filed and my folders are a lot lighter.
The sun did make an effort to come out in the middle of the day. I was tempted out into the garden, first to take photos and then I spotted 3 more varieties of hardy geranium so I planted clumps in the propagating beds. I did a bit a weeding which was very easy with the soil being so wet and then I set off to clear the way into the field next door. (Bowden Woods with the deer.) The first hurdle was cautiously walking along the plank over the stream. It has been there for years and not only is it covered with moss and potentially slippery but it is debatable how strong it is. Needless to say I shuffled over almost holding my breath. On the far side I cut back the brambles until I reached the corner of the fence. There it is like a high wooden ladder but a while back I took the nail out of the end of one of the struts and replaced it with a loop of strong nylon string so that it can be opened to make an (awkward) gap to climb through. I'm not sure if going over the top wouldn't be easier but the wood was very slippery. Having got into the field I was going to make my way up to the top corner to see if I could get better access there. But the clumps of wet grass were nearly waist high and I was wearing shorts, with wellies of course. I don't mind getting wet but my thoughts turned to ticks or even worse leeches. That was enough to trigger a prompt return home where after a careful examination of my legs I went and had a shower to make sure. For my next expedition I shall wear trousers and waterproof over-trousers.
I love hearing all the birdsong but I spotted Mr Sparrow singing his heart out while Mrs Sparrow was busy bringing food to the nest. Hmm. 
More tidying up in the afternoon and as I shall be working tomorrow afternoon I made flapjacks so Peter can take some to work on Friday. I think things are reaching breaking point at his work. They've been told to increase their output by 20% while maintaining standards and despite the work area being reorganised into a less efficient set up and supply issues. This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back though he only has 6 more weeks before he retires anyway. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Hang in there Peter....the light is at the end of the tunnel. I know I wouldn't be in an area with ticks and leeches ... wow. Your rose photo is lovely. My Blaze climbing rose --deep red-- continues to bloom away. I think it's making up for the many times I cut it back to ground level. Love the birds. I sit in our porch and simply close my eyes and listen to the various songs, relaxing and beautiful.