Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 23 June 2016

Referendum Day.

Today is the day the people get a say in whether Britain remains in the EU or leaves. Each side has appealed to the basest instincts and come up with blatant scaremongering not to mention outright lies that it would be embarrassing to align with the leaders of either campaign. That said we've made up our minds based on a more fundamental reasons and we'll just have to see what happens. I went to vote at 5.00 and they had nearly 70% turn out with 5 more hours to go. That's how strongly people feel about the issue. Which ever way the vote goes the UK is going to go into recession and the 'losing' side will yell loudly that they predicted it. I've been teaching all day and went to cast my vote on the way home. I took these photos driving down the lane from Okewill Cross on what is barely more than a farm track.
The road is so narrow that the long grasses were brushing my tiny car on both sides. Not only was this road very steep but in common with most of the country lanes round here it twisted and turned so you could never tell what might be approaching. 
I didn't mind driving slowly and enjoying the view. I had originally planned to stay on the main road going down Zig-Zag  and turning off at the bottom to East Down. However they are replacing the surface of the main road and all the way from Shirwell it was loose chippings. Having recently paid £90 towards a windscreen cracked by a stone I followed the instructions on the signs and stayed below 20 mph. By the time I got to my usual turn off there was also a sign saying Road Closed Ahead so I decided to take the slightly longer route.
There's a saying that we are all connected by 6 degrees of separation but round here I reckon it's more like 2 degrees of separation if that. When I got to the village hall to cast my vote instead of the couple I was expecting there were 2 strangers. But not for long, When they ticked my name off the list they asked if I worked at Pilton Infants because their daughter is also teaching there. Not only that but she is the teacher whose class I have on a Monday. We then had a long chat about school and our moving plans and there were so many people and places we had in common. They might even be interested in looking at our house as they are planning to combine several generations and households in one larger property. I also chatted to another couple who came in to vote. They are the people who were going to be worst affected by the wind turbine and spearheaded our successful campaign to have planning permission refused.
When I got home there was a message from the estate agents about another viewing on Saturday morning, that's good. I cut half the lawns this evening and will do the rest tomorrow rather than trying to do them all tomorrow after a full day of teaching.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Where I come from a road/lane such as you pictured would be referred to as "going around Robin Hood's barn"...I have no idea where this sayings originated. Ruta, my best wishes to you and your countrymen. Whatever the outcome of today's vote I hope the result is good for everyone. I just listened on National Public Radio to an interview with a British journalist who said until 10 PM tonight no media outlet including electronic can speak about the outcome.

Here in the states, due to the excess polling that is done, we hear all day long projected outcomes. Rather takes away the whole process.

Again, where I come from, like you voting, paying taxes etc. always meant you would meet lots of people..some I knew, some shared school, church, membership in organizations: always made for a very pleasant time, even paying taxes.

happyone said...

Wow that is a narrow road. More like someones driveway!
I love that about a small town. : )