Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 4 December 2017

A Poke in the Eye.

While he was clearing up at the boat shed yesterday Peter managed to get poked in the eye by a small twig. He thought nothing of it at the time but later in the evening his eye was very sore and already too bloodshot for me to see anything. He didn't have a very good night though paracetamol helped and in the morning he rang the surgery. When he went there later in the day  the doctor said that he had scratched the cornea and gave him some antibiotic stuff to put in his eye until he could be seen by the eye clinic at the hospital. However when he got back home she rang again and said that after looking at the photo of his eye again she felt he needed stronger antibiotics and some anaesthetic drops to relieve the pain but they won't be ready until tomorrow morning. He's got an appointment on Thursday at the hospital which is now within walking distance.
Meanwhile as the weather was relatively mild I got on with weeding the front garden. For a town garden it's actually quite large and I'm already making a few plans. There are a couple of red fuchsias at the front along with a holly bush (great for using as a cat deterrent), an acer, a buddleia, two hydrangeas and a couple of unidentified shrubs.  
Having loaded three bags of weeds into the back of my car I took myself off for a short walk around the local streets. I got chatting to a young woman whose dog was barking and growling at me. I stood quietly and let it sniff my hand before patting it but every noise or movement set it off barking again. It was like a Weimaraner but more brown. She told me it was quite young and a rescue dog. Noticing she was carrying a horse blanket I surmised correctly that she had a horse which led to more chat. She had moved here from a farm a year ago and knew of our ex-neighbours' stables. I do try and make an effort to chat to people as we Brits are often too reserved.
The countryside begins on one side of the road next to ours. This is private land with Bradiford Water running through it but a bit further up is Manning's Pit, the water meadows through which there are public rights of way. That'll be the next place to explore. 
On the other side of the road are more houses similar to ours. I walked through the passageway to another green space that leads back to our turning. All the houses have large front gardens and it is interesting to see what people have done with their gardens. 
This fluffy cat has been coming into the garden recently and seems to be waiting to meet our two. They however take no notice even when the conservatory door was open and the visiting cat had come close to the house. Earlier in the day I had seen a robin sitting on the wall and as I worked in the front garden I could hear the wail of a solitary seagull which reminded me of my early days living in St Ives.
I'm now getting back into my exercise routine though I've toned down the weights I use for my arm exercises. The main set back has been with the stretches, not surprising considering how much heavy work I've been doing. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Sorry to hear about Peter's eye. That seems a long time to wait for an appointment for an eye. Hope all goes well for him.
I always stop and talk to people when I'm out too. I can't tell you how many people I've met around town like that.
Nice that your garden is a good size for you to work in.