Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 30 December 2017

Checking Out the Sales.

I walked in to town this morning and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of crowds in the High Street. By the time I had slowly ambled the length of the High Street the crowds had appeared. So much more wearing when you have to navigate past groups of slow or stationary people. However I have now checked out all the sales in the shops to satisfy my (bargain) hunting nature. I bought some more Christmas cards in W H Smith and now have enough for at least 2 years. I also bought another woolly hat and a shopping bag with straps long enough to fit over my shoulder.
I also went into Wilko's (was Woolworth's) where I found a good range of hardware including the smaller shelf brackets I needed and some larger size hooks for my clothes rail project. Back at home it did not take long to screw in one hook into the wall and another into the wood under the stairs, thread the chain through the length of pipe and slip the chain onto the two hooks. Hey presto, we now have a rail to hang up our jackets and coats. The plastic pipe does have a tendency to bow so if I was to be really fussy I could use a metal pipe instead. There was even a white coated metal pipe at B&Q which would be perfect for the job. But I am pleased that my simple design worked. Initially I had considered using those cup shaped holders you get for towel rails but I wasn't sure there would be enough clearance for the coat hangers. I also bought a couple of those under-shelf baskets and have been able to remove another storage box from the bedroom.
It has been very mild today with some very light rain in the morning.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Necessity is the mother of invention. You did good!

Wishing you and Peter a Happy and healthy New Year!

happyone said...

Aren't you clever, what a great idea.