Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 14 December 2017

Wintry.

It's been a day of sunshine and wintry showers, very wintry indeed with a good amount of hail. First thing this morning I decided to walk down to the Co-Op to get the sugar. It's a brisk 15 minutes walk, downhill on the way there and uphill on the return. For most of the journey the road is the last one in town so I had plenty of country views over and between the detached bungalows. On the other side of the road were occasional views of the hills on the far side of town. No feelings of being marooned in a city thank goodness, 20 years was enough for me.
My day has mainly been spent baking biscuits as well as unpacking the last boxes and filling up the big pine sideboard. All was going well, the chewy chocolate.....
(Wow, I just clicked on something and was given the option of 'Read aloud' which of course I had to try. And yes I was treated to a natural sounding man's voice reading this post.) ..... cookies were done, so also the biscuits with contrasting centres. I thought I'd leave the lemon icing until tomorrow and just do the chocolate decorating. The heart shaped biscuits needed dipping in white chocolate and I planned to drizzle white and dark chocolate on the cookies. It started well, I dipped the smaller hearts first then began on the bigger hearts. Then the chocolate wouldn't stick to one biscuit. The melted chocolate began to solidify which I thought might be down to the slightly chilly kitchen. I tried using more hot water in the outer bowl but no matter what the chocolate remained soft but not runny enough to pour. I ended up spreading it on the last biscuits with a knife. In the end I gave up. I don't suppose my family will mind. I know chocolate can be temperamental and by that time I'd had enough. I wonder if I accidentally got some water into the melted chocolate and upset the structure of the chocolate? The dark chocolate behaved itself and I flicked chocolate over the cookies. I've got half a bar of white chocolate left so I may try again tomorrow.

No comments: