Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 2 December 2017

Grey.

One good thing today - Peter worked his IT magic and I'm now able to get back on to FaceBook. There was a lovely picture of Sally dressed as a wizard at a Terry Pratchett exhibition.
We've had a damp grey day with a slight rise in temperature. I can't say I've had a very constructive day. I really would like to get the dinning room and conservatory sorted but it's all a matter of logistics which seem to go round and round. Half of the remaining boxes there should be stored in the garage but can't be until 1- we get someone to check on the garage door and 2- until there is room in the garage which there would be if the big pine sideboard came out of the garage and back to the dinning room. Then the rest of the boxes can be unloaded into the cupboard. But we need to wait until the wall has been painted white before bringing in the cupboard and filling it back up. So, as I had a tub of white paint and Peter had bought me a paint roller and tray I thought I would work around the boxes and at least paint the back wall. However there's the question of how to remove the two floating shelves which are a bit wobbly anyway. Looking at the fittings and consulting Google gave me no clue as to how to undo the fittings. There's a nut which looks as if it is the key but they need two flat spanners which ............ you've guessed, are in the garage. Instead I painted the other three walls but not very successfully. I had a brush to do the edges but my tiny roller designed to do behind radiators would have been much better. The walls were grey so will need at least one more coat. Speaking of radiators I did solve one small problem. There is a radiator tucked behind the wall on the right and when I hoovered before painting I saw that it was full of dust. I couldn't get the nozzle of the hoover down between the metal folds and when I tried poking the dust out with a stick it stayed where it was. Then I remembered a tiny bottle brush that I keep for cleaning jobs. Taped on to the stick it proved to be ideal for getting the dust out.
It was awkward fitting around the furniture and I'll have to do another coat tomorrow. A handyman friend of Peter's is coming round tomorrow to look at the work he'll hopefully be doing; taking down the built out wall and putting up our largest mirror in the sitting room as well as boarding out the loft. Maybe he'll know how to take down those shelves.
The cats spent their afternoon sleeping in the sitting room. Remember those cat houses? Even though they are by the radiator in the dinning room the cats don't sleep in them. Patch sleeps on one of the chairs and Speedy finds a cosy spot on top of the boxes.
On his travels today Peter collected a set of shelves he had bought from a charity shop. They were new but flat packed so I was called in to help with the final assembly. As usual there was only a picture but no instructions to make the lean-against-the wall ladder style shelves. They wouldn't have been my choice but there you go.


1 comment:

happyone said...

It is really awkward trying to paint around things like that. I don't think I'd even have tried. : )
Takes a while to get everything sorted out when you move.