Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 7 April 2018

Damp.

We've had a showery morning followed by a drier afternoon. My token bit of gardening was to plant out the nasturtiums in the terracotta planter on the garden wall. Peter quite liked having to confuse the nasturtiums by turning them round each morning so that they were facing away from the light
And for the rest of the day I've been scraping paint. I think I've done as much as I need on the spindles of the upstairs section. In some places the paint can be rubbed off with a fingernail (see below) while in others it clings more stubbornly. If nothing else I've become proficient at sharpening the shave hook on the whetstone. I wonder, do people still keep a whetstone to sharpen knives and other tools? Probably not. I also recall a knife grinder calling out for customers when we first lived in Forest Gate, about 30 years ago.
The pitcher plant must be enjoying its new home on the bathroom windowsill because today I noticed a fully developed pitcher and a few others in progress.  

1 comment:

Harriet said...

I use a whetstone, Ruta, mostly on my gardening tools. Sometime ago, years now, we had a man coming through our neighborhood offering to sharper knives. He is gone now. As a child in Cleveland, Ohio, I remember a 'paper and rags' man calling with a horse and cart. Our milk was delivered by horse also. This would have been in the early 2950's.