Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 3 April 2018

Dry.


On my way into town this morning I contributed towards the latest children's craze in Pilton for painted rocks and stones. These are painted by children and adults and left 'hidden' in Pilton usually Pilton Park or Rotary Gardens. When a stone is found a photo is taken of the children with the stones which they then hide for another child to find. It is a great way to encourage the children's creativity and excitement at being outdoors. I often see photos of children I used to teach and as I have a box of paints I thought I would paint a little hedgehog. I left it sitting on a low garden wall at the bottom of Pilton Street and by the time I returned it had been found. 
I was on my way to town to have coffee with two friends. This time we met at the Old School Coffee House which 350 years ago was a school for girls. It was very atmospheric with low ceilings and wood panelled walls. Listening to school tales from one of my friends who is still teaching left me feeling so grateful that I have left that world behind. 
As usual I strolled round some of the many charity shops. In one I bought this top as concert wear for when conditions are warmer. I also stood looking for a while at some half-price Easter eggs. I was very tempted but then I worked out that I could buy four times the weight of very good chocolate in Lidl's for the same price so I walked away. Straight over to Primark where I bought a reduced pair of fluffy pink and white pyjamas for almost the same price as the eggs had been. 
I was looking out of the sitting room window when a fat (pregnant?) black cat walked confidently up to the window. Just to see what would happen I opened the front door, the black cat retreated down the path waving its tail and Speedy crouched in the doorway poised for attack. Patch looked out of the door for a while before walking back into the sitting room while Speedy remained on high alert. I would quite like to discourage other cats from visiting the garden so I didn't interfere. Eventually the strange cat moved down the path and 10 mins later they were still having a face off. I didn't see what happened in the end but heard no signs of a cat fight before Speedy returned home. There was still time left for me to do a bit more paint scraping. Every bit I do today is that much less to do tomorrow is my motto.
I thought I might try growing some tomatoes outside in containers this year. I heard somebody on the radio suggesting using seeds straight from  tomatoes so I bought a small handful of M&S tasty cherry tomatoes to give that a go. I also bought a packet of seeds from Wilko who sell very reasonably priced seeds starting at 50p unlike some of the big brands which are £3-£4 a packet. These have been sown and have joined the grass seedlings on the bedroom window sill.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I've heard of the rock thing.
Your hedgehog rock is so cute!! We don't have hedgehog here.
Good luck with the tomatoes.
Nice to have lunch with friends and wow what an old building.