Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 12 October 2019

Grey.

While not actually raining today it has been a very grey and gloomy day. I'm feeling quite cheery due to the tablets my doctor suggested taking me right back to normal. I've done two exercise sessions leaving out the harder weights work and gone back to normal on the exercise bike. In between I've been clearing away even more papers and brought the ladder up form the garage. Somehow I'm going to have to squeeze myself and the ladder into the gap by the conservatory as there's still water getting in on that side. 
In the meantime I've finally got some progress photos from the builder via Peter. He added some shots of the bay too. The place is at the stage of looking at its worst and there are grim pictures of rotten wood and water leaks not to mention the rubble and mess everywhere. The builder and the other trades need to talk to Peter on site so he'll be going up there on Thursday. I took one look at the photos and said that I definitely wouldn't be going up and that Peter shouldn't even think of sleeping there either. He's booked a room in a local guesthouse instead. They didn't have a single so it's a double with a four poster bed but I fear that if I go into Red Roofs I'll attempt to tidy up which would be silly and the long drives don't do my back much good.
I amused myself by adding in my plans for this end of the sitting room. The doorway into the hall has been returned to its original height which I think looks better and the boys won't be banging their heads as they walk through. There won't be a door but there will be a glazed door on the other side of the hall leading to the bedrooms.
Standing in the kitchen I can see how much airier the rooms look with the archway between the dinning room and sitting room widened and made higher. The door leading out on to the terrace will be all glass letting in even more light and the dining table will be under the window. Those are the beds in the bay window securely wrapped in plastic sheeting but not fit to be slept on right now. All the bedding and our spare clothing is inside thick black bags so should be alright too. I can't wait to see the whole of the front of the bay window glazed from floor to ceiling.
It's a shame that the side sitting room window will need obscuring with blinds or something but the road and pavement are only about 2ft away. The new lintel looks good and sturdy. I had taken off some of the plaster at the top corners to investigate the old lintel and was surprised to see it was only wood with about one inch, if that, sitting on the blockwork below. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

It always gets worse before it gets better. Then it is all worth it!!