Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 13 October 2019

Roofs.

I took advantage of today's break in the weather to work on the conservatory roof. (Right now it could be described as sunny.) I managed to squeeze the ladder into the space between the conservatory and the neighbour's fence and found a less wobbly fence post to lean it against. Then with more squeezing and contorting I got myself up the ladder, the maximum width of the space is 19 inches, and was able to see a very obvious gap between two of the side sections of the conservatory roof. Then it was a matter of cleaning and drying the pvc sections and applying sealant to every possible join where the water might be getting in. As I wasn't using a new tube of sealant and it was hard to squeeze it out instead of going back down and cutting the nozzle further back I simply removed the screw-on nozzle and used my fingers to spread out the thick line of sealant that then came out. Not the best workmanship but as long as it does its job I'll be happy. We'll have to wait for the next downpour to see how effective my work has been. I also cut back the ivy and bush growing on the fence as tenants are not likely to do any garden maintenance. 
Now to the roofs in Borth. No wonder they are leaking. All the areas I've marked in red will be open to the sky with the garage separated from the rest of the house. I think the shed is being held up by the plants all around it. Apart from the shed taking up such a lot of space the angle of the photo has foreshortened the garden when there is actually about 6ft between the nearest greenhouse and lean-to no.2. We've already got two people who are very keen to come and take away the greenhouses.
Over the years the neighbours did their best to help Chick out by repairing the flat roof and skylight but replacement has been long overdue.  Thankfully modern fiberglass roofs are a lot more durable than the old fashioned flat roof construction.

1 comment:

lea said...

It's a wonder that shed is still standing with all of that weight on the top of it! Those old tarred flat roofs can be a big problem. The school I worked at had one, and there were times we had big garbage cans in the hall to catch the leaks.