Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 30 October 2019

Wintry.

Today has felt very wintry; grey, cold and often wet. I settled in to an afternoon of sewing but sadly things did not go to plan.
After more checking, pinning and tacking I was ready to begin sewing. I brought down the sewing machine, did a test piece because the tension can be a problem with this machine and away I went. Working slowly, sometimes having to push the  whole cover through to the other side of the machine I carefully began stitching the darts. Got one side done, began the other and then ……. the machine which is operated by a foot pedal began to sew by itself. Luckily I had just finished a seam and was easing the fabric away from the foot but it was a bit of a shock. The only way to stop the machine was to switch it off. Having safely removed the chair cover I tried again with some scrap material but the machine zoomed off on its own again. 
I couldn't get the tiny screws undone with a glasses screwdriver but Peter gave me a more substantial screwdriver which did the trick. I had hoped to see some obvious like loose wires but the problem appears to be with the white unit which did feel hot. Looking on eBay a new replacement would be £40 and a second hand one £25 which is still a lot. A request on FB has yielded the name of a sewing machine repair place. I did wonder if I could just wire in a replacement pedal to the old machine plug. Peter's not sure as he reckons there's a transformer invovled.
So that was the end of my sewing for the moment unless I opt for hand sewing.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Too bad about the sewing machine. Maybe a new one for Christmas!!
We've had a rainy, dreary day too but not cold.