Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 March 2019

Farewell Patch.

We'd noticed Patch's arthritis getting worse recently so when he was reluctant to get up this morning I began thinking about increasing his pain medicine and giving half in the morning and half in the afternoon. He went back to sleep but later on when he had woken up again and I carried him to his food I noticed that one leg wasn't working at all. He ate his food but could barely stand or walk. That's when we realised he must have had a stroke and it was time for the final trip to the vet. Peter drove so that I could have Patch on my lap but didn't feel he could come into the surgery. Instead he went to the Reform and waited for me there. It wasn't long before I was called into the surgery and the vet agreed that putting Patch to sleep was the only option. Patch was munching on some cheese seconds before the injection, a peaceful end. A big gulp at the cost- £95 including disposal. I had planned to bury him in the front garden but with us moving before the end of the year it wouldn't be fair on the new owners.
While we were in the waiting area an older couple had come in and I'd told them the situation. They were still there when I came out and the old chap gave me a hug. His wife was in tears, as I was, and told me they had had to have their cat put down a year ago. I walked over to the Reform and the landlady who rides down at the stables said she would let Sarah know about Patch. 
Later on I had to go up into the loft to fetch down some things. There's a valuation day being held tomorrow by an antiques auctioneers up at the Cedars Hotel and I thought I take these green goblets along. Unfortunately one of the large glasses was broken in the box despite careful packaging and 'fragile' tape leaving three large glasses and five small ones. I think they are Bristol glass but have no idea of their value. There's a couple of other items of jewellery that I'll take as well. Now that we know where we will be moving to (hoping the sale goes through smoothly) it's time to go through our belongings, especially the stuff in the loft that we haven't needed for the past year, and sell or give away as much as we can.
 Yesterday's sunset.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Patch. So very sad. I know how much you loved him. I am crying too. Hugs to you.

lea said...

I sympathize, even when we know that it's the right thing to do, it's hard.