Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 4 March 2019

Stormy.

I'm pleased to report that I woke this morning feeling back to my normal self. Maybe Rocky Road is a cure for colds? The stormy winds had carried on through the night blowing the bins over again and bringing more rain. The wind eased up a bit during the day but we had many heavy showers which by the afternoon contained sleet and hail. I spent the day doing my usual exercises and housework with more browsing at kitchen plans. 
On the Friday journey home we stopped at the Gloucester motorway services, a surprisingly beautiful building built like a hobbit hole inside a green hill. Looking on-line today I saw that it is called the best motorway service station in the whole country.  
Going inside the light and airy space we became immediately aware of the green/eco ethos behind the design. Lots of natural timber with the food serving areas lit by downlights set into tree trunks. To start with there were none of the usual fast food outlets with nasty and unhealthy food offerings. Instead the food was of the 'home made' style. We didn't need to buy any food but had stopped for a loo break. Very modern design as expected and as I waited for Peter I saw that they had 'family room' toilets with both adult and child sized toilets and sinks. Other rooms offered the chance of a shower which to my quick glance were free. (I may be wrong there.)
I needed to stretch my legs so we  headed for a stroll around the Farm Shop. Oh my! what an amazing selection of goodies. Only the very high prices kept me from buying anything. Above is a selection of different brownies and cakes while below are tea cakes (biscuit, marshmallow and chocolate) in very tempting flavours.
Peter went and had a look at the fresh meat counter where he found steak for £45 per kilo! Below is a table of kabanas and biltong which you could mix and match. The names suggested that they were extremely hot.
And for the ultimate temptation a table of chocolate truffles and other hand made chocolates. They also sold equally beautiful and pricey ceramics, jewellery and all the other things you might find in a quality gift shop. Reading the reviews on line it seems that the shop stocked speciality foods only found in top range delicatessens. If I won the lottery, which I don't play so isn't going to happen, I'd fill the wicker baskets that they have for shopping baskets, with no difficulty at all.
I found this picture today showing the stunning coastline near the bungalow. Yes, that's a campsite behind but the shadow next to the arrow is a steep section of the field so the holiday trailers are out of sight on the slope beyond. Peter has already spoken to the council and checked that there are no development plans for that field at the moment. The campsite may expand but not in the foreseeable future.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Wow that is a nice service place. Seems like a destination more that a rest stop.
Glad you hear that cold never happened! :) I said a prayer for you too. :)

Ruta M. said...

Thank you.