Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 2 July 2020

Cloudy.

I very nearly made it out to the beach today but alas through my own indecision we didn't go. Peter noted my grumbling and mumbling yesterday and suggested that we headed out for a stroll along Barricane beach. Yippee! I thought but then as black clouds began rolling in along with a forecast of rain I said maybe it would be better if I went and did the shopping and we went to the beach tomorrow. Guess what? Along with the black clouds came hot sun which would have been quite pleasant at the beach and now we have to be in tomorrow morning for next-door's handyman to come in and strip off the ivy which is pulling her fence down. I'll be watching him like a hawk as even the window/fascia cleaner trod on the edges of some ornamental grasses breaking the roots so now they won't stand up.
Self-seeded nasturtiums and cosmos are making a pretty display. 
My neighbour had waited until I declared the blackbirds' nest unoccupied before tackling the ivy and now I think we may have had a wrens' nest in there too. As I was about to go out to take some photos I saw a wren flit from the rose bush (they like the aphids) to the rhododendron and then up to the back fence. The yellow on its beak  identified it as a fledgling and there was one or even two more. They look big enough  to survive without a nest so I shan't call a halt to tomorrow's work.
I didn't find any bargains out shopping today but I did get myself another hat. I like hats and I'm convinced the sun will give me a headache if I'm out too long without something on my head. The usual one-size hats don't fit me so when I come across a L/XL hat, even if it's a man's hat, I try it on. This one fitted nicely and unlike my other hats it can be folded up for packing. As can be seen I'm already experimenting with a different hat band to make it look a bit more stylish. While I turn my nose up at expensive fashion I do like to alter things to fit my own tastes.  So I guess I'm just as vain as everybody else.
I was back doing some experimental cookery this evening. I planned to make some apple pancakes, nothing unusual there, but then in the spirit of using up what's in the fridge I added cottage cheese, a whole tub. That made a large amount of batter, enough for a family so I guess I'll be seeing how good they taste tomorrow as well. With the cheese in they were very soft and took longer to fry. The taste was fine but not so amazing that I'll do them again. Then of course there was the amount of time it took to clean up. I have an issue with grease so everything needed to be cleaned up straight away. That's utensils, plates, frying pan, lid and cooker all needing to be wiped down with paper towels before being washed with soapy water. So much easier to take an ice-cream out of the freezer and throw the wrapper in the bin. I'm definitely not a natural chef.

No comments: