Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 3 July 2020

Rainy Evening.

It stayed dry up until the end of the afternoon when in came heavy rain.
The local handyman arrived soon after nine to begin taking down the ivy. He kept muttering that 'he wasn't a gardener' so my plan to stay out and assist was probably for the best. As I said to my neighbour whose fence and ivy it is I'm always happy to be doing something outside so long as it's not bending or stretching too much. After taking a break to sit and watch I decided to have one last go at removing the ivy around a tall flowering stem of fuchsia. You can guess what happened. I promptly sniped through the stem of the fuchsia resulting in an un-lady-like utterance. Work came to a halt at mid-day and a fairly good job of clearing up was done. Later on I did some more gentle tidying including picking up rose petals. 
It was getting windy so I had to push the acers back and rope them to the fence for the time being. When all the ivy is removed I'll paint the bits of wall that had been covered by the ivy. While I was in the garden we got a phone call booking a second viewing by the couple that came on Monday, for tomorrow. Yay!
Here's the blackbirds' nest where it was tucked between the fences.
I don't know if this link will work for everybody as it's a FB link but in this BBC Wales video. our new home can be seen at 0.23 right next to the blue house. Nice to know that it's considered special enough to be in a promotional video.
In England the pubs open tomorrow along with restaurants and hairdressers. I foresee a mad rush to once again enjoy a staple of British life. However you will have to stay at your table, at a safe distance, and not interact with people at other tables (shouting spreads more droplets). Doesn't sound like much fun and is that really going to happen?

2 comments:

lea said...

What an absolutely beautiful video! Your red roof certainly stands out. I was also intrigued by that old wall with a door and windows between the rock walls (at about 42-43).
Here ivy has been deemed an invasive species and can not be sold in nurseries. If people would not let it form berries, which the birds spread, it wouldn't be so bad.
I hope your next viewing goes well.

Ruta M. said...

I've had a quick look but can't find a definitive identification of that building. It looks too big to be a chapel/hermit dwelling of which there are a number in Wales. My guess is mine buildings (in Cornwall some mines extended 2 miles out under the sea) or maybe something to do with fishing.