Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 8 July 2020

Wet.

A very wet day. I went out shopping and for once had to don leggings and wellies though the rain kindly died down to a light drizzle while I was out and about.
It's Peter's birthday today. He really doesn't take much notice of birthdays (he does know that I do) and even though it's his 70th he'd forgotten about it. Unlike his 60th when I surprised him with a trip to Lundy with Romas and his then girlfriend this has had to be a low key affair. I'd researched into suitable high power binoculars but as you really need to try them and have them adjusted to your eyes all he got today was a handmade pair fashioned from two toilet roll tubes and some string. It's the thought that counts.  I also got him a 'summer/beach' wardrobe of sleeveless t-shirts to make up for the disreputable work t-shirt that I'd disposed of to the rag bag. Below is the card I gave him. We do find those Ladybird parody cards funny. (This was a stock photo as my camera wouldn't upload the photo I took of his actual card.) The boys have generously offered to get us flights to Italy next September or the year after if a vaccine takes longer so that we can visit Rome and Naples/Pompeii. Vytas and Sally went last year and they will do all the booking and organising as we prefer independent travel rather than a set tour. Peter has an interest and in-depth knowledge of Roman military history and this is a trip we've always wanted to make. Something special to look forward to.
The beach café began doing their Sri Lankan curries this Monday and had it not been raining we'd have gone for a curry on the beach. Instead he's got himself a kebab, a very generous portion due to Peter conversing with the staff in basic Turkish. Too greasy for me so I've indulged in sushi for supper.
Next door to Lidl's, my first shopping stop, is Laura Ashley and today I saw they had a sale on. Sadly it's due to that shop being one of 70 branches that are being closed down. Everything was reduced by at least 40% though even at half-price most things were still eye wateringly expensive. I bought this doormat, still in its sealed plastic bag, as a housewarming present for Vytas and Sally as Sally likes all things hedgehog. (I've already sent them a photo of their virtual present.) I also got more fabric for cushion covers etc. which had already been reduced by 50% and now had a further 50% off. I was going to get 2m but there was only just over 1m left so they gave me that as 1m. I did feel sorry for the staff as they will now be unemployed. 
I love the upside down reflections in the raindrops on the acer.

1 comment:

happyone said...

A very Happy Birthday to Peter.