Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 5 July 2020

Windy.

After a grey start the day brightened right up.  It's been very windy making it too good a drying day to miss so into the machine went some washing. I made to sure to double peg everything to stop it flying off across the neighbours' gardens.
Today seems mainly to have been about cleaning. Yesterday when I was baking the cookies I noticed that the glass oven door needed cleaning. When I lifted it off today I saw that it was very greasy. Yuck. I don't like using strong chemicals preferring elbow grease and a Brillo pad for oven cleaning. Glass made sparkling I moved on to the shelves. Spurred on by my progress I pulled the fixings from the sides of the oven and finally turned to the oven walls themselves. I was doing well until I peered into the back and then examined the roof which is covered with charred on grease. I gave it a few wipes but have come to the conclusion that before we move I may well turn to one of those oven cleaner sprays. There's no requirement to leave a spotless cooker, or even any cooker at all but that's the way I am.
Even though we couldn't go out today we had a pleasant spell sitting outside without any intrusive radios playing. Instead it was possible to imagine we were by the sea, the sun was hot on our arms, the wind roaring through the trees sounded like waves and every now and again there was the chink of ropes on an aluminium flagpole in the big house behind us which sounded like ropes on a boat's mast.
I moved the agapanthus even closer to the wall to protect the one flower. I thought this was a pot of blue agapanthus but now I'm thinking it might be a white one. I bought both varieties when we were on the Isles of Scilly but eventually the slugs at Dingles destroyed one. Agapanthus do well by the sea so I'm hoping to grow them in Wales. Will just have to make sure they're in a sheltered spot.

No comments: