Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 31 July 2020

Hazy.

Despite dire warnings of change the day began hot and sunny with a warm wind. Naturally that meant getting some washing out on the line. The haze began creeping in by the afternoon  and now it does look as if we might have rain tomorrow. 
Our rickety knees stood up quite well to several hours walking on rocky paths but it has been sensible to have a recovery day today. I combined sitting outside and reading with some natural hair lightning with lemon juice and hopefully caught enough sun to have some effect. In the afternoon I did some cutting back of the hydrangeas and buddeliea in the front garden. It'll be a few weeks, hopefully not too many, before we leave and it wouldn't be nice to let the garden run wild. Also with the small amount of rubbish we produce I don't think it hurts to chuck a bucket of hydrangea flowers into the wheelie bin.
Now for more photos from yesterday........
When we first got there I was thrilled to see a closer than usual view of Lundy, this time from the south. !5 miles compared to 20 miles from Woolacombe. We didn't have binoculars with us but I could make out the church tower and the central lighthouse that I climbed up every morning of our last two stays there. 
Before setting off home we walked down to the Hartland Quay Hotel. Apart from the tables outside the hotel people were not good at social distancing. While I walked down the slipway for my paddle Peter had to ask a group of people who came and stood right next to him to move along. It's not easy when originally and still in the shops we're asked to keep 6ft apart but now in other places it's only 1m apart. At BJ's the staff wear t-shirts that say Better 6ft apart than 6ft under.

Last night there was a vertical cloud iridescence or irisation in the evening sky. It was clearer in reality and lasted for at least 15 mins. I love watching clouds and something like this is a bonus.
The last thing today I've done is to gaffer tape some lino pieces onto the ends of the metal (hollow) bars that stick out from the bottom of my computer desk. The plastic covers that it originally had are missing from two of the bars and once again I've skinned the top of my toe. I should have done something about this the first time I caught my toe especially as with increasing age it takes so much longer for such minor injuries to heal.

No comments: