Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 21 August 2020

A Trip Down Memory Lane.

Wild and windy today. Last night I woke at 12.30 and had my usual peer out of the window rewarded by frequent sheet lightning to the north-west, (no thunder) which was still visible an hour later after I'd watched tv. My attempts to photograph the lightning came to nothing. Today has been very warm with ferocious winds.  Coming back from Combe Martin I had to drive under a tree that had fallen across the road since I been that way earlier. A man was standing there talking on his phone presumably reporting the tree to somebody. I first stopped then sped under the tree. Going up the winding road that climbs the side of the combe I kept an eye out for waving trees and drove quickly past any that looked suspicious.
My trip to Combe Martin was to collect this Ikea ceiling light that I'd seen being offered free on the recycling page. When my thoughts had turned to the lighting in the kitchen and dining room I'd originally said that I'd have a big paper sphere lightshade in the dining area. Then I wondered, considering I'll probably have the dining room door out on to the terrace often open, if the sea breeze would send the light swinging back and forth. Next I wondered if I could buy a spherical glass ceiling light. That was before I saw the offer. What a coincidence. 
Having not gone that way since we left two and half years ago I decided to take the marginally longer route back along the way 'home' to Dingles.
So many happy memories of our lives as country folk. I didn't drive back past Dingles but instead went down the long and very steep Whitefield Hill to Muddiford for a change of route. Not so many memories that way but the Dalek is still there in a roadside garden.
Once I'd collected the light I parked up in Combe Martin for a  photo stroll around the small seaside village. (Will post photos tomorrow.) It was quite crowded with visitors but I was able to keep a safe distance. Most of the businesses are places selling food but I did go inside the two gift shops that were open.
I wanted to support local businesses and amongst the downright tacky plastic offerings and the expensive jewellery was able to find some items I thought weren't too bad. I thought the sign would be handy if I disappear off to the beach in the early hours before Peter wakes and I rather like this string of metal seagulls with a bunch of fish. I also have to admit to looking for craft ideas as well though I didn't take photos with that in mind.

The unwanted wheelie bin got pushed back into the middle of the grass again and right now has been blown on its side by the strong winds. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Nice to have a drive by and remember.
If that wheelie bin could only talk. :)