Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 27 August 2020

Rain, Sun, Rain.

All morning up to early in the afternoon we had rain, really heavy rain. Nothing like the storm hitting the US but quite severe. I needed to pay a bill at the bank so decided to drive in. Even on that short, less than 10 mins, drive the roads were starting to flood with great waves being thrown up by passing cars. I walked from the car confidently wearing my Navy (both in colour and being ex HMS issue) coat and hanging onto my large rainbow golf umbrella. My wellies came in useful for wading through several inches deep puddles stretching right across the pavement. By the time I came out of the bank the rain had nearly stopped and before long the sun was out once more. With the sun came heat and I felt a little overdressed. The sun lasted for a few hours but now the sky has turned white and the rain is starting up once more.
Latest kitchen photo from the builder showing the new sink with the old bottom units temporarily back in place. The cooker has been checked and is working, hooray. The fridge freezer will have to go back into the utility as I'd rather have our smaller and newer fridge freezer in the kitchen with the older one as an overflow in the utility. I am concerned to see the fridge doors closed. When we were there last year, after a very thorough cleaning I made sure to leave the broom keeping the doors ajar when the power was off. I hate to think of the state of the inside if it's been closed for a year. 
It's not the biggest kitchen area (the cupboard on the right has been pulled away from the wall while that bit is plastered) but more than enough for us. There'll be several more cupboards coming across from the left and of course there'll be wall units.
Still thinking about the ceiling light I revised my plan to have a bar with spotlights and Peter agrees. The kitchen and dinning areas were an addition to the original house and at less than 7ft 4ins the ceiling is much lower than in the rest of the house which has extra high ceilings. So why not have an ordinary ceiling light? Scrolling through all lights on offer at B&Q nothing looked better than this type which is what we have in the kitchen here. There were so many fun and exciting LED ceiling lights but this is a kitchen where all we want are clean lines and a bright light.
Searching eBay yesterday I found two styles of white border tiles which work out at £1 each. I've sent off for samples to check they match the wall tiles before I choose and buy enough to finish off the wall tiles.
Today is recycling day and we have now been issued with additional blue boxes, almost as big as the general black boxes. These are for glass containers, how much wine do they think we've been drinking? Our weekly offering rarely has more than one glass jar and no wine bottles. (Peter gets his red wine in a box from Tesco's.) After the usual washing of the food caddy and the black box I used a tester pot to paint the house number on the underneath of the blue box. The recycling men leave the black boxes upside down and I guess they'll do the same with the blue boxes. 

No comments: