Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 22 August 2020

Combe Martin.

Once again it's been warm and very windy. My washing out on the line dried quickly though I did keep a careful watch in case it rained, which it didn't. I was ironing a duvet cover when the ironing board began to sink slowly towards the floor. ?? When I checked I found that a screw had worked loose from the wooden under structure. An easy repair using a fatter screw from our well stocked tool cupboard. Earlier I'd worked in the back garden to dig up a few of the plants in the planters that I want to take with us. Just the chives, a lavender, some blue grass and a clump of the grey leaved, clove scented white Old English 'pinks'.  Back indoors I baked a batch of Peter's favourite peanut butter and chocolate chunk cookies.
Now for some photos from yesterday's jaunt.
Combe Martin has a small mainly rocky beach. The stream that flows into the beach is often contaminated by sewage overflow when there's been a lot of rain. Like now!. The general information sign on the way down to the beach has a no swimming symbol but not everyone takes notice. There were surfers out and a few youngsters paddling. As I walked along on the road I saw a mum with three small boys one of which was paddling and washing his hands in the stream running down the side of the beach. I simply had to go down the steps and let her know that the stream was contaminated with sewage and it wasn't the best place for children. Luckily she didn't take offence, people can be very touchy if they think you're criticizing their parenting skills.

Walking out of the car park I was amused to see this van negotiating the narrow lane.
A glimpse of the sea between the old fishermen's cottages.  


A solitary fishing boat. Most local fishing boats are used for tourist trips but there is some fishing for lobsters, bass, cod, mackerel and pollock.
Looking back up the beach and road. Being in a steep valley (combe) the village is basically two miles of one road with some tiny lanes branching off.. 

No comments: