Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 26 August 2020

Windy.

Still quite windy today, a cold wind too. However the sun began breaking through later in the afternoon and out of the wind it felt very warm.
I've had a long day out, leaving the house at 9.30 and not getting home from shopping until after 3.00. My first stop was to the surgery for a routine blood test. I say routine but this is the first I've had in 5 years of taking strong painkillers. Needles don't worry me and it was completely pain free, not even the slightest scratch. Next stop was at the garden centre near the surgery with birthday vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. There I found this Tulbaghia violacea, a member of the garlic family which I'd seen growing in the gardens at St Michael's Mount. Definitely my sort of plant. I found another two grey leaved plants in BJ's but not the agapanthus I was hoping for.
It pays to keep a sharp eye on prices when shopping. ('Scuse my razor sharp wit.) Tesco's have a big display of 'Back to School' stationary with many or maybe even most items HALF PRICE! I had markers on my shopping list, needed for labelling moving boxes so I picked up a pack of 5 Sharpies half-price at £3. Imagine my surprise when going past the regular stationary shelves, next to the pack of 5 for £3 were the same pens at £1 for a pack of 2. That's cheaper than the reduced offer. A good thing the hand scanner lets you take items off your total. 4 pens for £2 will be fine for us.
In BJ's I picked up a couple of £1 feathered things for Speedy as the original one is looking rather battered. 
As well as supermarket shopping I called in at Wickes where I had a long chat about kitchens with one of their staff who was very helpful. Now I know that the reason that the ovens with the slideaway doors are so expensive is because they are patented by Neff who can charge what they want. I came away with more brochures and price lists. The next step is probably to take Peter there to see whichever kitchen I decide on. Naturally the handles that are the best both practically in terms of Peter's swollen knuckles and visually are the most expensive at £13 each. Something else I found to be surprisingly expensive is border tiles. As the wall tiles in the toilet are only going half-way up the walls I thought about topping them with some sort of white rope design tiles. I went in a big tile store and the 20cm border tiles I looked at are £6.50 each. Surely I can find something cheaper than those. I went into B&Q again but still haven't decided upon the kitchen spotlights. The one I sort of like just doesn't seem very bright with 40w bulbs.
Speedy gets very lively before his evening feed time of 5.00 though as far as he's concerned it's feed time as soon as he's woken up from his daytime sleep. While he's waiting he gets very playful with any loose objects on my desk in danger of being grabbed or sent flying. Something I don't think I've mentioned about Speedy is that he doesn't miaow. He often does a silent miaow or croaks which is different to the chatter which he makes when he sees birds.
 Got it!

No comments: