Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 12 August 2020

Everybody's Melting.

The day began quite foggy, I took the photo (below) of the sun at 9am. By 9.30 I was walking into town to do some jobs and then meet up with two friends for coffee at Queen Anne's Cafe.  My friend had booked us a table under the colonade where we had the benefit of being outside but were still in the shade. It's been a long time since we were able to get together like this. One of my friends is still teaching and has been working all through the lockdown. I won't share details but I don't know how long they think teachers will last under the current strenuous and stressful conditions.
By the time we met up this morning the fog had burned off and the temperatures shot up. By the time I walked home it was 102F/45C and it doesn't seem to be going down any time soon. Luckily as well as my umbrella, the early morning shipping forecast had said there was a possibility of thunderstorms, I had a sunhat and sunglasses in my bag. Even if I hadn't got into the habit of having a shower whenever I've been around possibly asymptomatic people I would have dived into the shower as soon as I got home. It was far too hot to be outside so I cooled off indoors with a cool breeze blowing through the house. 
Just before I turn into the High Street there's a posh (very nice but pricey) curtain/ upholstery fabric shop which often sells off the curtain samples for pennies. 50p per item to be precise. I often peer through the window to see if I can spot anything that might be useful. The last time I saw some colours I liked I thought I'd wait until I was on my way home to go in and buy them only to find somebody had already  snaffled the bargains so today I went straight in. My camera seems to fade out the blue shades in the patterened fabric and my part-tile sample which arrived today but the fabrics will fit in with the kitchen/living room colour scheme if I can find a use for them. The middle fabric is the softest grey velvet. The two wooden finials were 50p each too. (Better change yesterday's spelling.)
I pretty sure this is the same touch lamp I saw in the Air Ambulance shop on my last town trip. I'd asked and been told it wasn't a touch lamp and later was kicking myself for not asking to actually having a look at it as I recognised the design. I looked for it in the window of the charity shop today but it wasn't there. All the household items had been replaced by dvds and the shop was still blocked off inside. Imagine my surprise to find the lamp in the Armed Forces shop. Maybe the first charity shop had passed its electrical goods on.  They test and safety check all the elctrical goods but I still asked to see it working which it did. It wasn't dramatically cheap but I'm happy for my money to go to a good cause and reuse an unwanted item.
The sky was pretty in pink yesterday evening. Just a shame the fog rolled in later to block out any views of the Perseid meteor shower.

No comments: