Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 8 November 2021

Damp.

This morning's view was of a light grey vista with hardly any differentiation between the sky and sea. After a day of light rain the grey only darkened (below) before fading into early winter darkness. The squirrel turned up again as we ate our breakfast. I put some peanuts out for it but it didn't re-emerge from the hedge.
I have spent my day in town shopping. First stop was Morrison's where I arrived at the perfect time for second reductions and got some 75% off bargains for Peter, Southern fried goujons and chicken Kievs (4 for 50p!) have all gone in the freezer and will last him several weeks. Those savings made up for the massive price hike on 1kg. bags of prunes. A few weeks ago they were £3.50 and now they are £5. Both were Morrison's own brand so that's a 40% increase for something that is a basic in this house to counteract some of our medications. I think I'll call them out on FB. Overall it was an expensive shop due to the amount of dried fruit and nuts bought for Christmas cake baking. Just as I was going through the checkout shop alarms began to wail and the instruction came for everybody to exit the shop. My checkout lady rushed my shopping through, I quickly paid and threw the remains of my goods into the trolley before making my way out with everybody else. By the time I got outside the call was already going out for members of staff to return to the shop.
After Morrison's I drove into town and parked at the Matalan car park which gives you 3 hours free parking as compared to Lidl's which is only 5 minutes walk closer and gives you 90 minutes free. I went to the bank and a number of the local shops though I wasn't too successful in finding things on my list. I lost one shop altogether, it's a decorating supplies place which I've been to once before. I got to the street where I thought it was, looked and saw nothing so thought it must be one of the side streets on the other side of the main shopping street, went there, walked down the street but no shop. I walked back to the first street again but nothing. I'll have to look on Google maps for future refence. (Have done so and it's much further down the first steet I tried.) For today that meant no Polyfiller. Before getting the car I called in to Matalan and bought myself this pink tooth brush pot from the reduced shelf. I've been keeping my eyes open for something to put some make-up in and this was just right. Finally I drove round to Lidl to get the rest of the groceries as some items are a lot cheaper than Morrison's eg. butter was 30p a block cheaper. 
Back home Peter was pleased with his bargains and both freezers are crammed full, mainly with veg. I buy at least 2 bags at a time of things like broad beans and wonky peas (how can peas be wonky?) as I can't always find everything now that deliveries to the supermarkets have gone astray. I'd had a disappointment in Morrison's when there was no frozen cauliflower (Lidl's don't stock it). Cauliflower is the mainstay of my current diet as I replace the carbohydrates in my supper with cauli which has virtually zero carbohydrates. Luckily I found some in Iceland which saved me walking over to Tesco's. Such excitement in my life.
I had a few comments on a FB post about the beached wood. One person said it would be difficult to cut due to being full of salt water but other people said that it was newish wood, possibly from sea defences futher down the coast, a Navy mat for a crane, part of Barmouth bridge or bog boards for a digger. Whatever it was it could be very useful to someone now.
 

No comments: