Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 27 November 2021

Snow!

Wow! What a night. The storm got stronger and stronger until for a couple of hours we were at 'severe storm force 11' with gusts of up to 70mph. Any worse and it counts as a hurricane. The neighbour's roof stayed on, just. I could feel the doors to the front moving slightly and I was so worried that we might end up with the doors blown in that I dragged a couple of boxes full of books and jammed then against the French doors and the kitchen door. Then being me I heaved my sewing machine on top of the one at the kitchen door. That reassured me and I'd stopped worrying about the clatter too. I'd finally traced it to the extractor vents from the bathroom and was relieved that the roof wasn't about to peel off. We were just getting off to sleep despite the noise of the wind when we were startled awake by a loud crash, which turned out to be the plastic dustbins being blown over. 
When we woke this morning it was really quiet though the sea was still rough. When I went out on the terrace I was shocked to see snow up on the hills, though I guess the freezing cold air should have been a clue.
After breakfast we wrapped up and went for a walk along the beach. Apart from the tattered flags there was surprisingly little damage though across the country there are reports of trees down, blocked roads and tens of thousands of homes without power. Sadly three people lost their lives due to falling trees. 
The zoo also took some damage with part of the perimiter fence being blown down. They put out a request for people to help get the fence back up but I didn't see it until later in the afternoon otherwise we would have gone down to help.
On our way back from our beach walk I carried on and went up to the Memorial to get a better view right across the bay. From there I could see what was left of the snow. I had to be careful clinbing up the hill as I was wearing wellington boots and the path is a mud and rock cliff path better suited to walking boots.
Back home Peter carried on sorting out the garage while I washed the salt off the front windows and then washed some floors. That included the utility room where Speedy had piddled over the side of the litter tray. He only uses the tray if he can't go out in the evening. Thank goodness it's a tiled floor. After all that I settled down on the sofa and did some felting making a sphere using collected sheep's wool. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to cover and decorate it yet. Have to wait for inspiration.



 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh my that was some storm. I've been thinking about you. Glad you had no damage and your neighbors roof stayed put! Sad about the people who died.