Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 6 November 2021

Wet.

A rainy day consisting of showers in the morning and heavy rain all afternoon and into the evening.
We ate our breakfast watchimg Nessie and family on a visit to Borth.
See what I mean?   (A famous photo of the Loch Ness monster.)
After breakfast we needed some things from the shop so I went out for a beach walk followed by a visit to the shop.
Just as I got to the beach I saw and heard a large number of motorcyclists, I counted 48 going up past our house. This was a memorial ride for a local biker whose body had been found out in the mountains last week. So sad for his family.
Down on the beach Nessie had landed and morphed into the skeleton of the prow of a Viking ship. Also on the beach was the long dead carcass of a sheep. Diversion into my pet grammatical peeves here - I don't think you can qualify 'dead', something either is or isn't desd but the sheep looked as if it had been in the water for a long time. It's probably a sign of my age but I flinch when I hear even obviously educated people using 'was' with plural nouns and I feel it's laziness when I hear adjectives being used as adverbs without 'ly' being put on the end eg. ' He painted wonderful.' That said I know I break the rules when I write the same way as I speak. I often begin a sentence with 'and/but/also' which I thought was incorrect but Grammarly says it's acceptable if melodranatic to do so. I'm nothing if not melodramatic. Do you have any grammatical peeves? (Not my spellings as my spell checker went on strike a while ago.)
The recent rough seas had left a lot of kelp and other seaweed on the sand. It was around about this time that it rained quite heavily. To avoid my legs which were only clad in lycra, getting soaked I stood in the shelter of a large rock until the worst of the shower had passed.
Just visible in the middle of the photo below are about six of the big timbers from the structure which washed up on the sand at Ynyslas. (photo above from FB) afew days ago. (It was too wet to take a better photo.) If only we had a trailer and were strong enough to haul those massive timbers home to make raised beds in the front garden.  
Back home I got on with the two things I had planned to do today. The first was to check my recipe books and see which ingredients I need to buy for making some Christmas cakes which I plan to do soon. Both my recipes called for what seemed like pounds and pounds of dried fruit so I'm going to try a different recipe which uses mincemeat as well as dried fruit. The other job was to check my curtain and fabric stocks to see if I have anything that would do for curtains over the front door. I have several perfect furnishing fabrics but not enough of either so I had a look on ebay and may have found some suitable duck egg blue and white curtains. They look very nice and were not expensive but I need to hear back about the width across the tops because I think the size given was for across the bottom. After that I sat watching the now very stormy seas and made another tassel. It's interesting to see what the different ropes turn into.

No comments: