Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 16 November 2021

Mould.

Grey again today with a few heavy showers. A bit windy but not too cold yet.
Most of my day was spent dealing with mould in our bedroom. Like the rest of the place the outside walls were stripped back to brick/blocks and insulated plasterboard installed before all walls were replastered but there is a small section of the original plaster inside the built in wardrobe that had to be left. Added to the damaged render on the outside and our removal of the porch the damp had a shance to creep through to the wardrobe. It was only today that I realised there was mould on the wall so I've cleaned it all and tried to get as much ventilation to that wall. Luckily most of the stuff in the wardrobe is in closed plastic storage boxes but one of Peter's favourite hoodys had mould all over the front. That's been in the washing machine and the mould is all gone. My cleaning spree had been sparked off last night when the beam fron my head-torch (I was doing some close work) passed over an old pine chest of drawers and revealed that it was covered with white or grey dust. When I began to give it a wipe I realised that the dust was black/green indicating that it was actually mould. I used some tea tree wipes to go over the front of the cupboard there and then but today I emptied the drawers and gave everything a through wipe inside and out. Our bedroom had been empty and damp for five or maybe even ten years and I expect having the shower in there doesn't help. It doesn't feel damp in our bedroom and with two large radiators it's the warmest room in the place but until we do the bathroom and take out the shower I'll have to be a bit more vigilant about checking for mould. 
While Peter was out shopping I moved the tall mirror into the front hall and hung the long banner up next to the flag. I'm very fond of my collection of flags and banners so it was with great care that I steamed out the creases from the banner.
I finished off the afternoon with a walk along the beach. There's plenty of driftwood from great tree trunks to smaller bits of trunk (above) and sticks of all sizes. I don't need any more branches for my tree but I did collect a couple of small more interesting bits to possibly use as a topper.
A little touch of pink in the sky this evening.

 

No comments: