Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 24 November 2021

Heavy Rain.

The day began dry with fluffy clouds in a blue sky. Wednesday mornings are always a rush for me as I have to get the recycling/food waste out before going to the zoo and this week it was the three weekly bin and glass collection as well which is why I didn't take a photo. It stayed dry for the morning then began to rain just as I was walking round taking a few photos and chatting to the other volunteers.
We had heavy rain in the afternoon which along with the worsening waves caused Peter's row to be cancelled.
Down at the zoo I spent three hours behind this fence weeding over one of the few areas planted up with garden shrubs and bushes. There was some summer growth to cut back which gave me the opportunity to find and dig up the last, hopefully, of the stinging nettle roots and the few other weeds that had popped up.
Looks like there's going to be a Christmas grotto..
At least Mr Turkey doesn't have to worry about becoming Christmas dinner.
Back home I felt sorry for Peter as he'd been looking forward to rowing so I baked him a cake. I've called it a fruit 'n nut cake like the chocolate bar as I added chocolate, sultanas and almonds to a basic  cake recipe. While the cake was baking I finished off this small felted Christmas bauble. It's about the size of a golf ball and I used some lovely wool that changes colour and thickness along its length over sheep's wool collected at Hartland Point and apart from the glass bead completely recyclable. A lot of the decorations I've seen on-line are made by felting over a polystyrene ball, then washing in a washing machine to get a good base coat before decorating which is not very 'green' and also pricey.

 

No comments: