Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 23 November 2021

Looking Back.

It's been a grey windless day today. No sea mist or rain but I wasn't inspired to take any photos. 
1949.
Instead I'm posting some 'then and now' photos, all taken from the internet. The first one came up recently on one of the local FB groups I belong to but it was so small I couldn't see our house.
Now. 
The little rectangles in the Google photo are the holiday chalets in the biggest of a number of holiday parks around the village.
Don't have a date for the above photo but it predates the sea defences which were built in 2011.
Another one from 1949 in which I was able to spot our house and the neighbours. From a purely selfish point of view I prefer the older version though we probably wouldn't have the shop with its three kinds of tahine and two types of wholemeal pasta and the people living along the High Street would be subject to regular flooding..
 2008.
Back to my day - I did quite a lot of outdoor work, first detatching the tree trunk from the biggest root. That involved sawing through the root, which was some sort of compound root, twice so that I could take out a slice of root. While I did that Peter worked in garage building a workbench. I also notice that the shelf which I thought was too wide is now narrower. I tried giving the trunk a shove but there was only the slightest of give. I do hope that chap comes to chainsaw the stump to bits. Then, after a break, I went down to the front garden and began cutting back the montbretia. It's currently growing around the steps and a couple of the hydrangea bushes and will eventually be moved but for the time being I'm just tidying up for winter. The big garden waste bag is almost full so I guess it's time to think about a trip to the dump. I also got a few indoor jobs done; first coat of paint on the wood Peter screwed to the wall in the hall cupboard, first coat of white Hammerite on the metal fittings that will hold the curtain pole (I used a cotton bud as the fitting are small and I didn't want to have to clean a brush with special cleaner as instructed on the tin) and hung up  a framed LOTR poster in the hall.

No comments: