Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 14 November 2021

Mild.

A very mild day today with quite a few patches of blue in the sky.
I woke early after a good night's sleep (doesn't happen that often so worth a mention) and was up by 7.30. I prepared breakfast, cleaned all the floors, wiped out the glass bowls the carnivorous bog plants sit in, gave the orchids their weekly water and feed and was out on the terrace with a cup of tea by 8.30 where I was rewarded with the sight of two dolphins fishing in the bay. What a great start to the day.
For our Sunday breakfast, I had marmalade and butter (I don't normally put butter on bread unless I'm indulging) on seeded rye bread which was as good as the croissants we normally have. After which I went off for a walk on the beach. I had to walk over the strip of bouncy seaweed to get to the sand exposed by the low tide. We've been watching Wonders of the Celtic Deep which has rather twee commentary but superb filming of the kelp forests where these seaweeds originated before being torn up by stormy seas.
Unlike yesterday the sea was almost flat with just enough clean waves to satisfy the surfers. Incidentally Peter and co. wore lifejackets in the boat when they were out rowing yesterday and for a while they were followed by a large common seal.
I marched all the way to the first rock pile where I sat on a rock to watch the ever changing colours and shapes of the waves. Behind me were the still unclaimed sleepers. Back and forth they go.
Quite a few people on the beach today including about 10 people on what looked like an organised litter pick.

When I got home I had a sort out of the driftwood for the big tree which should be about 4ft high when it's all threaded together. I don't think I need to be bringing home any more wood from the beach. That done I oiled the two tables up on the terrace.
I had one clematis to plant in the back garden but after telling Peter I would be coming indoors after that I couldn't resist clearing most of the stones from around the tree stump and then digging away some of the soil. If that chap lives up to his word and comes to cut it down with his chainsaw I'd like it to be as close to the ground as possible. That done I did stop and settled indoors to make one tassel and do a little on my Christmas letter.
 

No comments: